Many women wish for thicker hair. Even if the hair is of regular thickness, it would often be helpful if it had a livelier bounce or more volume. Sometimes, more of a good thing really is a great thing. We show you how you can give your hair the rich and lively structure of your dreams.
Volumising Powder – Your Secret for Thicker Looking Hair
Volumising powder is the secret behind many full heads of gorgeous hair. Actress Felicity Jones uses plenty of volume powder for extra volume power (see the photo above).
Volume Styling: If your hair has too little bounce work a small amount of volumising powder through the hair near the roots. The evenly distributed micro-particles in the volumising powder will fluff up the hair and absorb some of the sebum. This gives the hair a lively bounce and makes it much more manageable throughout the day.
Extra Volume for a Chignon
Styling Tip: Use a hair donut to add extra volume to your chignon. Hair donuts come in various sizes and colours. Concealing the hair donut is easier if its colour matches your natural hair colour as closely as possible. Your natural hair should completely cover the hair donut. With this in mind, the size of the hair donut is entirely your choice. A large hair donut can help you create the illusion of ample hair volume for a stylish chignon.
Below, we show you how to create the chignon:
Step-by-Step Instructions for the Chignon with Hair Donut
1. Comb your hair straight back and gather it into a high ponytail.
2. Pull the ponytail all the way through the hair donut.
3. Evenly distribute the ponytail hair over the hair donut and fix it by pulling a large scrunchy over the ponytail hair and the donut.
4. The ends of the ponytail hair will now peak out from underneath the large scrunchy. Drape these hair ends around the chignon and secure them with hair pins. The chignon does not have to look sleek or perfect.
Extra Volume to Create a High Quiff
Jaimie Alexander wears her new pixie haircut well. The quiff lends unexpected volume and femininity to her style, which is deepened by Jaimie Alexander’s classic facial features, her makeup and her earrings.
On the left: Jaimie Alexander boosts her hair volume by styling it into a quiff
We explain how to style this extra-volume quiff:
Step-by-Step Instructions for the Quiff
1. Apply an about tennis ball-sized dollop of styling mousse to your hair and separate the hair from the crown of your head to your forehead. This top hair will be styled into the quiff.
2. Blow-dry your top hair while brushing it upward to give the hair the necessary bounce for the quiff.
3. After creating the volume for the quiff, slightly tease the hair in the back of your head while intermittently applying hairspray.
4. Form a quiff of the desired size by turning the ends of the top hair under and securing the quiff with bobby pins.
5. Finally, apply hairspray for the desired hold.
Curling Your Hair to Create Volume
The Olson twins Ashley and Mary-Kate Olsen prefer undone hairstyles with middle parting. Here, they surprise us with a slightly different look. Their tousled blonde curls are styled for extra volume. The unevenly tousled curls bring movement into the hair and create the impression of more volume.
In his video, Armin Morbach shows quick and simple methods to create voluminous curls.
Video: Turn Straight Hair into Gorgeous Curls Using a Curling Iron
Hair expert Armin Morbach shares more of his styling techniques with you. Learn how to create lasting bounce and movement in your hair using the proper blow-drying technique.