Braiding How-To: Style a Crown Braid Four Ways
Braided hair is in style! We reveal how easily you can recreate a trendy crown braid. Plus, we tell you all there is to know about the key variations on this style: Such as the double crown braid, and the flower-adorned crown braid
Braided hairstyles can impart both a cute/girly vibe – or an elegant/glamorous one. If you want your look to be a perfect mix of both casual and stylish, then a crown braid is it. The crown braid can take you anywhere – from brunch with girlfriends to a party on the weekend and on from there to a night at the theater.
Double crown braid
This hairstyle crowns the crown! The double crown braid is a real eye-catcher – and it’s also got excellent staying power. Another great thing about it: It can be worn in several ways. Versatile! The look consists of a total of four plaited braids that result in two hair wreaths. It’s even possible to combine different ways of braiding. For example, a combination of French and fishtail braiding lends a grown-up touch, while double braids in an undone style give a youthful look.
This is how easy it is to recreate the double crown braid
What you’ll need: Long hair, styling mousse, two thin hair ties, hair clips, hairpins and hairspray
How to do it:
- For texture and hold, distribute a tennis ball-sized amount of styling mousse through towel-dried hair, then blow dry completely.
- Create a center part, and starting from the roots at your hairline, gather a section about three fingers wide on both the right and left sides of your part.
- Divide the rest of the hair into two equal strands and pin these out of the way for now.
- Now, braid the two sections of hair at your hairline flat from the roots to the tips. Fasten these braids using a thin hair tie. Using a mix of French and herringbone braiding techniques will give the most beautiful result.
- Take the two back sections of hair, braid them, and secure each of them with a hair tie.
- Now you’ll need a little dexterity: Wrap the back left-hand braid around your head like a headband to the right, parallel to the braided hairline. Secure it to the top of your head with hairpins.
- Do the same with the back right-hand braid, wrapping it around to the left and securing it.
- Finally, style the ends of the two front braided sections around the sides of your head to the back of your neck. Pin in place.
- For a modern, undone look, gently loosen the style and pull out a few strands with your fingertips.
- For extra hold, finish with a good dose of hairspray. Done!
Other interpretations of the double crown braid
The wraparound braid
This look makes for the ultimate Oktoberfest beer maiden style! With a dirndl dress and the right makeup, the wraparound braid is a real hit when dressing in theme for folksy festivals. There are several ways to do it.
For long hair, start at around ear level and create two long braids. These are wrapped around the head and secured with hair pins. For short hair, braid directly at the hairline. You can do this like a basic braid: i.e. with three strands, or incorporate extra strands into your braid. Find a step-by-step guide to creating this style here.
The braided updo
The braided updo looks particularly stylish in long hair. This is a feminine and romantic look that you can tailor to your mood. As with the wraparound braid, the sides are braided – but here, the lengths and ends are left undone. You can secure these into a bun, or simply leave them undone and loosen up with your fingertips a bit. Tip: For a better hold, apply a texturizing spray or mousse before braiding.
Flower-adorned crown braid
Lend your braided crown an extra romantic touch by incorporating fresh flowers. It’s easy, looks natural, yet it adds a little something special. It’s perfect for garden parties, weddings and other special occasions.
There are no rules when it comes to embellishing your hair with flowers. You can use individual fresh flowers or create a flower wreath to place in your hair. Artificial flower wreaths can be just as pretty as the real thing – and can be used again and again.