For many of us, being quick about getting ready for the day’s activities is part of the daily routine. Therefore, hair styling must be a matter of expediency rather than artistry. There are those mornings when no outfit in the closet seems right for the day, when the clock is ticking and the children are late for school. If you travel a lot hair styling is often secondary to being on that connecting flight or not missing the bus. For many sophisticated women simple hairstyles are in fact part of their personal styles. These hairstyles can be elegant, cool, trendy or playful. We show you four hairstyles in four styling steps, which will turn heads no matter how little time you spent on styling.
Simple Hairdos: Kate Bosworth’s Ponytail
Kate Bosworth likes to wear a ponytail wherever she goes. Ponytails can save the day when elaborate hair styling is not on the agenda. Luckily, the many versions of this hairstyle never fail to appeal. Actress Kate Bosworth wears her ponytail low in the neck. She wraps a strand of her hair around the base of the ponytail to add interest and sophistication.
Left: Kate Bosworth wrapped a strand of her hair around the base of her ponytail. This provides a simple but appealing detail
Instructions: The Ponytail
1. Create a side parting and comb the hair straight back.
2. Apply a small amount of hair oil or hair wax to create a sleek ponytail.
3. Use a scrunchy to gather your hair low in the neck.
4. Pull a small strand of hair out of the ponytail and wrap it around the scrunchy. Secure this strand using hidden hair or bobby pins.
Simple Hairdos: Kate Mara’s Semi-Updo
This semi-updo tames Kate Mara’s hair while allowing most of hair blonde hair to frame her face. Her undone semi-updo is trendy but easy to style. She pulled her top hair only half-way through the crunchy to create a hair loop.
Left: Kate Mara expresses individual style with this undone version of the traditional school girl semi-updo
Instructions: The Semi-Updo
1. Apply a little salt spray to your hair to create the undone appearance of your hair.
2. Create a middle parting and pull the top hair straight back.
3. Use a scrunchy to gather your hair high in the back of your head.
4. Pull the top hair only half-way through the scrunchy to create a hair loop as a special style element.
Simple Hairdos: The Wet Hairstyle of Lena Gercke
Extravagant looking wet hairstyles are easy to style. The wet style works with ponytails, semi-updos or sleek open hair as demonstrated here by Lena Gercke. Wet hairstyles are cool and sassy.
Left: Model Lena Gercke wears a simple wet-looking hairstyle
Instructions: Wet-Looking Hairstyles
1. Distribute a hazelnut-sized dollop of hair gel between your fingers. Then run the fingers through your dry hair.
2. Use your fingers to brush your hair toward the back. Now add another dollop of hair gel.
3. Comb your hair to distribute the gel through your hair.
4. Apply hairspray for added hold.
Simple Hairdos: Holland Roden’s Braid
Actress Holland Roden loves to wear simple hairstyles. Here she parted her hair on one side and braided it into a long sideways plait. Playful plaits are easy to create and work well at home, at work, and for leisure times.
Left: Holland Roden parted her hair on one side and playfully braided her side-swept hair.
Instructions: The Braid
1. Apply a small amount of hair oil to make your hair more manageable.
2. Create a side parting and comb your hair so that the ends are straight.
3. Sweep your entire hair to the side opposite the side parting and braid it starting at the neckline.
4. Use a scrunchy to secure the end of the braid.