One of THE big hairstyling trends of 2018: Braids. Whether boxer braids, braided crown or the classic French braid – creative, artful braids are currently on the heads of trendsetters everywhere. Schwarzkopf stylist Armin Morbach has interpreted this trend in his own way, developing a braided style as one of his TrendLooks 2019. Best Braids combines tradition (braiding, after all, has been around for millennia) with a super modern, individual touch. “I wanted to create braids that are inspired by different cultures – not just the traditional Bavarian braid. Our braids remind me of the Vikings,” said Armin Morbach. Definitely a look for a cool adventuress like model Kiana Alexis!
What makes the TrendLook Best Braids unique
- Neat, accurate braiding with no hair sticking out? Not here. Schwarzkopf’s TrendLook Best Braids are allowed to seem a little “messy” – as if these braids had already seen some adventures!
- To achieve the look, hair should be at least a little past shoulder length. Long, rolled-up braids are the main feature of the Best Braids style.
- The hairstyle is divided into two parts: At the back of the head is a plaited ponytail, on top of the head a kind of “braid crown.”
How to style Best Braids in real life
- First, comb your hair well, and gather the upper section of your hair into a half ponytail. Pin it up and out of the way for now.
- Distribute a little structure-giving gel through your remaining hair and gather into a mid-height ponytail.
- Braid this section and secure with a hair tie.
- Release the hair gathered into a half ponytail in step 1. Divide it into two sections with the aid of a brush. Create a braid in each half and secure each braid with a hair tie.
- Cross over the two braids on top of your head, and spiral them around each other – but don’t be too precise! Use bobby pins to position and secure in place.
- Finally, finish everything with hairspray. Now you have a look that will withstand anything you throw at it.
Tip: It’s easiest to braid hair that isn’t freshly washed. It’ll have more structure, and your braids will hold better. Ideal: Wash your hair the night before, then style the look in the morning.
Where and when could you rock this look – and the other four TrendLooks hairstyles? Kiana and our other models chat about this and more on camera: