A faux bob can give you a completely new look, without the commitment. It’s an ideal hairstyle for those with at least shoulder-length hair, who want to try out a trend look – without losing any inches. You can style it any way that suits you – with a center part, side part or without a part at all; with curls, with waves; with big volume at the roots – or simply let it sit naturally.
Faux bob: Which version suits you?
Women with a long face or high forehead should wear long, angular bangs with their faux bob. Got fine hair? Wear yours with big volume. An asymmetrical, longer-in-the-front version with long, face-framing bangs will elongate and slim your face.
Step-by-step: Create a faux bob
If you have straight hair and would like to create curls, first add some heat protection to towel-dried hair, then wrap it section by section around a curling iron.
Tip: Use a thin curling iron to create tighter curls, a thick one for big waves – or create a wild mixture of both.
Once you’ve styled your waves, you’re ready to create your faux bob. Spritz with a little hair spray before you begin, to make hair easier to work with.
- Create a low side part.
- Work a generous amount of volume powder into the hair for more structure and grip.
- Divide the hair on the left side up to about ear level and temporarily pin it aside – this section will later hang loosely.
- Gather an equal section on the right side and take it back behind your shoulder, rolling the hair close to the head onto itself into a kind of French roll.
- Secure this roll with hairpins.
- Gather the rest of your hair (including the end of the French roll section) loosely into a ponytail at your neck.
- Tuck this under, securing it with hairpins. This is allowed to look a little undone.
- Twist up any protruding strands and tuck them under, securing with hairpins.
- Release the section of hair from step 3, tuck it under and secure it with hairpins.
- Fix your style with a strong-hold hairspray. Done!
For a smooth, big volume version, work some volumizing mousse into your hair before blow drying. Tease the roots section by section using a teasing comb, then use your fingers or the comb to smooth the hair into shape.
Tip: For even more volume, add some volume powder into the hair where needed and massage it in.